Monday, January 30, 2012

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread


I hope everyone had a great weekend! I can't believe that this month is almost over! This weekend we decided to take a quick road trip over to Houston and visit a bunch of friends. We love going to visit and wish we were able to do it more often. Now that we're all growing up and purchasing houses and doing adult like stuff, staying in a hotel when visiting is starting to diminish. I'm ok with this because it saves a lot of money but at the same time you have to remember to bring a hostess gift. A bottle of wine is always something easy but sometime that can get a little bit monotonous.
Years ago my mom found a recipe for Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread and it instantly became a family favorite. Once I moved to college I made it for my roommates who would tear though both loaves in a matter of days. When I met Kevin I started taking it over to his parents house for small family gatherings at which point the end of the loaf reach an all time record high in a matter or a few hours. Get the idea! J
The great part about this recipe is that it makes 2 loaves. If you keep it for yourself you can put the other loaf in the freeze till your ready to take it out or if you're like me, I keep one and give one. I almost always have one in the freezer so when someone calls to ask us over for dinner or if we go out of town and stay at a friend's house, all I have to do is pull it out of the freezer (sometimes a bottle of wine comes along too). It's that quick and easy! So, hopefully I've peaked all of ya'lls interest and you're ready to see exactly what it is I'm ranting about.

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

Makes 2 large loaves or 3 small loaves

3 cups sugar
1 can pumpkin puree
1cup vegetable oil or unsweetened apple sauce
2/3 cup water
4 eggs or egg substitute
3 1/2 cups white flour or whole wheat flour
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
1tbsp. ground nutmeg
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 - 1 1/2 cups mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2- 3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

1.      Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 2 or 3 9x5 bread pans.
2.      In a large bowl, combine sugar, pumpkin, oil, water and eggs. Beat or whisk till smooth.
3.      Add flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt. Since I like to use a whisk I add each ingredient a little at a time to try and eliminate clumps.
4.      Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.
5.      Fill pans 1/2 to 3/4 full.
6.      Bake for 1 hour and let cool.

Note: I personally love to warm up a slice for breakfast but it's also good at room temperature!

                  I hope this will become a family favorite in your house like it has in mine!

Happy Monday!

No comments: