Monday, January 23, 2012

Hint of Spring

Usually during the winter months I like to make hearty warm meals and warm baked desserts, but it has been unseasonably warm in Texas this winter. Thus, it has thrown me into a spring mode of thinking, cooking and dressing. So much for all of those cute winter clothes I bought for this year!

During the spring and summer months I stock up on berries, peaches and nectarines to freeze for use when they are not in season. They make some yummy smoothies! Since we are moving soon I am trying to use up everything we have since they won't travel well. In searching for a yummy dessert that won't bust every healthy decision I have made this far, I found this recipe for Strawberry Granita. It is so good and so fresh! This very easy, make ahead recipe is great for kids and small gatherings. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we did!

Strawberry Granita



1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup warm water
3 cups sliced strawberries (fresh or frozen)
2tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1.      Combine sugar and warm water in a blender; process until sugar dissolves.
2.      Add strawberries and juice; process until smooth.
3.      Pour mixture into an 8-in square baking, do not line with foil. Cover and freeze for 3 hours then remove and fluff with fork. Freeze for another 5 hours or overnight.
4.      Remove from freezer at least 10 minutes before serving.
4 servings (serving size =1 cup)

From: Cooking Light 2005  

No comments: