Friday, February 24, 2012

Easter, already?

Happy Lenten season! I know, I can't believe Easter is so close! It feels like it gets earlier every year. Did you give up anything for lent? I'll be honest and say that I did not. Besides my phone I'm not really addicted to anything. Instead of giving up something I usually try and do better with something that I think I need to work on. This year it is my patience. I hate waiting and my patience is truly going to be put to the test this year as I am searching for a new job, wanting to purchase a house and will be getting married in less than 6 months. As a Catholic my family and I follow the no meat on Friday's rule. This is really hard for me as I am a true carnivore! However, Lent is a time for sacrifice and one day a week shouldn't be that hard of after 23 years of this, it has proven to be a true challenge since I do not eat seafood. I can hear the " WHAT!!!"'s and "your crazy" through the computer. So, after years of grilled cheeses and bowls of mac and cheese (note that all of my past meals were cheese based), I have decide to make my Friday's of Lent healthy and yummy! The first go at this was so incredibly yummy that i think my no meat Friday's are going easy breezy!
Avocado Tacos


What you'll need:
Red and Green Bell Pepper, Sliced Thinly
Onion, Sliced Thinly
Mushrooms, Sliced
Vegetable Oil
Fajita Seasoning
Dash of Salt & Pepper
Avocado, Sliced
Corn Tortillas

  1. Heat a skillet with oil on medium. Saute vegetable and season with desired amount of seasoning just to taste.
  2. Cook till onions are caramelized and mushrooms and peppers are tender.
  3. On a tortilla, lay avocado down first ( it will play the role as meat), then vegetables and whatever else you would usually top your tacos with!
  4. Yes, it is really that easy!
  5. Add a side of whole or black beans.
Strangely, the mushrooms masked the fact that there wasn't any meat in the taco. I'm usually not a huge mushroom fan but these were SO good! I topped my taco with a bit of shredded cheddar cheese and some diced tomatoes.

Hope your meatless Friday will be as enjoyable as mine!
Happy Friday!

No comments: