1. Peel your squash and cut it down the center. Clean out its guts. Depending on the size (I usually get the smallest one I can find) and how much you need, generally half of a squash will be sufficient for puree. Save the rest for a yummy side dish!
2. Cube your squash into about 1 inch cubes or something that will fit in your blender or food processor.
3. Place your squash in a blender or food processor and chop/ puree. Using the puree button on my blender very finely shredded by squash (see below).
4. In a skillet on medium heat, cook your squash with roughly 3/4 cups of water this should take 5- 10 minutes. Cover with a lid and stir occasionally. Use your judgment on how much water the squash needs. Your squash is cooked when it starts getting a mushy texture.
5. Return Squash to blender/ processor and puree until there are no more chunks. There you have it, butternut squash puree in under 20 minutes!
P.S.S. Adding a little cinnamon, nutmeg and butter would make this a lovely side dish.