Monday, August 12, 2013

Monday Funday!

This past Saturday marked the end of my hosting showers season! Its been great fun but I'm ready to spend my time focusing on other subjects, such as re-doing my back yard. Here are a couple of pictures taken before everyone arrived:

 Gender Reveal Shower
 
 
I always enjoy coming up with food items to serve at parties, trying to find something new and creative. At the last shower I definitely found a keeper! I'm an avid reader of Southern Living Magazine and always love trying their cakes. For the last shower I threw I made their Luscious Lemon Cake which can be found here and did a variation of their Luscious Lemon Frosting. I find it important in a frosting to make sure the flavors are strong since a lot of the time a flavor ends up being more subtle than intended in the cake. There are several of my family members who do not like icing on cakes that ended up LOVING this butter cream which means it will be the ONLY butter cream base I will ever use again, for now!
 
 Yields enough frosting for 24 cupcakes
 
2 cups butter, room temperature
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 (32 oz.) pkg. powered sugar
 
1. Beat butters until creamy. It is very important that the butter be room temperature for the correct consistency.
2. Mix in lemon zest and gradually pour in lemon juice so that it has time to mix together.
3.Gradually beat in powdered sugar.
 

 


No comments: