Monday, August 19, 2013

Another Year Wiser

My sweet husband had his birthday this past week and we have been celebrating all week long. On top of his birthday we had our one year wedding anniversary (yes, I purposely planned it that way)! Since we had already planned on going out to dinner a couple of times last week for multiple celebrations, he elected to have a nice home cooked meal and desert on his birthday. As usual, my first question was "what would you like for me to make you for desert?"  He quickly replied without hesitation,"sopapillas!" I naturally then assumed we would be have a Mexican dinner however I was so very wrong,"Pasta!" flew from his mouth as I asked about the main dish. After I assured that he wanted pasta for dinner and sopapillas for desert I quickly wondered how old my husband really was, but the man wants what he wants so who am I to deny him.

A little nervous knowing I was going to have to figure out how to make sopapillas I started researching to find the best ideas and tips. The last time I fried something in oil I started a kitchen fire!Lucky for me I know how to put out a grease fire! Much to my surprise, my sopapillas came out lite, fluffy and delicious and I can wait for you to try them at home!

Sopapillas
 Makes 12 Squares
 
4 c. All-Purpose Flour
1 1/4 tsp. Salt
3 tsp. Baking Powder
3 tbsp. Sugar plus extra for serving
2 tbsp. Shortening
1 1/4 c. milk
Peanut Oil
Cinnamon (optional)
Honey (optional)
 
 
1. Sift 4 cups all purpose flour, measure and sift again with salt, baking powder and sugar. If you packed you flour before the first sift, there will be extra flour for the second sift. 
2. Cut in shortening (use a dough/ pastry blender or take two butter knives and in a crossing motion cut dough into flour mixture).
3. Slowly add milk into dough, mixing by hand while adding milk. You want to add just enough milk so that the dough pulls away from the bowl ad everything is mixed.
4. Cover dough and set aside for as much time as you have. The longer it sits, the fluffier the dough will be after frying.
5. In a nonreactive pot (porcelain pot) pour oil at least an inch deep. Using a candy thermometer heat to 375 degrees.
6. While the oil heats, on a floured surface, roll out dough roughly and quarter of an inch thick and cut into desired shapes.
7. One at a time add dough to oil. If you add to much to fast, you can cool the oil and affect the turnout of the sopapilla.
 8. As the dough browns on one side, flip and brown the other.
9. Remove from oil and dry on a paper towel
10. Coat with sugar, cinnamon and honey to serve!

 

No comments: