Thursday, August 22, 2013

Lake Treats

When I think of summer I think of going to the lake. Most would say they think of going to the beach but not me and my family. Dinners at the lake are usually simple and nothing fussy, I mean who wants to get off the boat after a long day on the lake and go home to cook  a complicated meal. I'm usually charged with bringing dessert. In purging my seasonal recipe binder I found an incredibly perfect Tequila Lime Bar which I have now changed up and call it a Margarita bar (you'll see why shortly).

 
Margarita Bars
 
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup pecans (or any nut), chopped
 
2 (8oz) pkg. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tbsp. GOOD tequila
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 tbsp. grated lime zest
1 tbsp. cornstarch
 
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large bowl, beat butter till creamy, add sugars and beat till well combine.
3. On low speed, add flour to mixer and beat till just mixed. Fold in pecans.
4. Press mixture into the bottom of a 13x9 inch non-stick baking dish.
5. Bake for 10 minutes and let cool slightly while making the filling.
 
6. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar till well combine.
7. Add eggs one at a time and beat well, add vanilla extract, beat, add tequila, lime juice, and zest, beat well. Add cornstarch and beat well.
8. Add topping over crust. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Cool slightly and refrigerate.
 
I like adding a dollop of cool whip and berries when serving.
 
YUM!
 

No comments: