Sunday, January 5, 2014

So it begins...

Happy New Year! I know it's a little late but hey, I've been busy... Every holiday season, without fail, I'm always busy even though I plan way ahead. My biggest accomplishment of this past holiday season was managing to stay stress free. I don't know how this happened, oh wait, I do, I didn't host any major events at my house last holiday season and it was fantastic! I also managed to get all of my Christmas shopping done in November instead of December which was AWESOME!!! Now that NYE has passed and a new year begins I have some major goals I need to work on this year. No, not a new years resolution but a goal, and it's not lose weight or make more money in my job (but that would be cool) or find love (already have that one!), but to be settled. This year will be my first full year home with my husband. I can feel the eyebrows raising in confusion. Six months every 2 years I move close to 300 miles away from home for work and this year is my "off" year. So, I have a lot to get done before I leave again. Here are my top 10 goals for the year!

1) It's time to get settled into my home. The majority of the stuff we moved into our home was from our old apartments. It's time to freshen it up a bit and maybe be a bit more grown up with it, just a little though.

Plan: attack one room at a time, otherwise it will get overwhelming and very expensive.

Goal: have the living room, dining room and eat in kitchen finished by the end of the year.

2) Run two half marathons this year. This one is a bit hard for me to type as I'm a bit tired of training right now. My December half was cancelled so my running partner and I decided to run one in February. By the time my first half of the year rolls around I will have been training for a little over 7 months.

Plan: run and have fun. It's an accomplishment enough in the fact that I'm even doing it at all.

Goal: 2 half marathons

3) Travel

Plan: The hubs and I are planning on going to Boston in September for our "big trip" of the year. Both of us have never been there so it will be fun! Also do fun weekend trips at least every other month to visit friends and even places we've never been.

Goal: Experience new places!

4) Learn to play golf and tennis

Plan: Take a few lessons of both throughout the year so that I can enjoyably play.

Goal: Learn to play golf well enough that the hubs will take me out on a golf day with him. Work on tennis as another couples activity.

5) Get out of my comfort zone. I'm a relatively shy person and I certainly don't open up to anyone until they open up to me first or I start gaining trust in them. I have a very tight circle of people I love to hang out with and as we get older I know we will start spreading apart. It is important to get out and meet new people!

Plan: Join a new club or meet new people.

Goal: make one new friend!

6) Visit local Restaurants. There are so many great restaurants around and I catch myself saying "i've been wanting to go there" a lot!

Plan: make a list of places I want to go to and actually go. As new places pop up that I want to try put them on the list!

Goal: To try one new restaurant a month.

7)  Pay down any debt that we may have. So a back story is required for this... I grew up in a family where we were taught if you don't have the money don't buy it and my husband grew up in the even though you have the money if there is zero percent interest financing, finance it and pay it off before the zero percent is over. Unfortunately, we have a couple of things that fall under the latter. Fortunately we can afford all of it and have all the money sitting in an account but I'm just tired of making payments!

Plan: PAY IT OFF AND OWN IT, except the house... were not ready for that yet.

Goal: NO DEBT BUT THE HOUSE and start working on completely owning the house!

8) Eat Healthy! Some times it can be hard to eat healthy and I totally understand that those times can happen but at least try. It can be hard with a picky eater for a husband but I can do my best!

Plan: Work it into my every day habits. I'm pretty healthy compared to a lot of people by I know I could use some more fruit and veggies in my diet!

Goal: to make a healthy decision without having to really think about it!

9) Move More. I'd like to see the hubs and I more active. We often fall into a rut of hanging out on the couch in front of the tv to much and sometimes waste away beautiful days... Yes, we have a pup and he gets walked every day that it's nice but that walk is more to make sure the pup gets his exercise in for the day instead of enjoying the surroundings. Plus with his age he can't go that far any more.

Plan: take an evening walk at least twice a week.

Goal: to come home after work and not immediately head for the couch

10) Go to church. This is once again a lifestyle change. When we moved into our current home we told ourselves we'd get settled in and then start look at the churches around us. A year and a half later we still haven't done so...

Plan: Find a church that fits us as a couple and enjoy attending

Goal: Attend church once a month to start out.

Well folks, there it is. I have a lot to work on but I firmly believe it will help make me a better person in the end. What are your goals for the new year?

No comments: